Thursday, February 18, 2010

Week 7 - HEB


If you've been reading my blog, you know that I rarely go to HEB. You can just get much better deals at Randalls or Kroger where you can load coupons on your card and they double/triple coupons. But I know plenty of people that say they can't do my crazy savings because HEB is all they have around. So, since no one asked, I figured I'd explain my take on HEB saving/shopping. In my opinion, your best bet for finding deals at HEB is to take advantage of their buy __ get ___free deals. (example: buy cheese, get meatballs free). The way you can sweeten up this deal is to use a coupon on the item you have to buy. (example: use coupon on the cheese!). It appears that most of the time the item you get for free is an HEB brand item, and the item you buy is not, so this will work out in your favor. Then, I would just find deals that way and stock up when you find a good deal.


With that being said, we eat a lot of spaghetti & meatballs around here. It's my husband's favorite food and I personally like meatballs better than sauce w/meat in it. Not sure why I just explained that, but anyways, I noticed an HEB deal on meatballs so I headed out to see how it worked out.


Here's what I did:


deal 1: Buy Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese, get HEB meatballs FREE

(I did this twice).

2 Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese (will use to make my cheapo pizza - will post about soon) - 3.77 each

-$1/1 printable coupons

makes it $2.77 for cheese & meatballs!


deal 2: Buy HEB Popcorn chicken, get 2 Lunchables FREE

(Honestly, I didn't really need the lunchables, I just LOVE their popcorn chicken and couldn't pass it up since I was already there)

Popcorn chicken - $5.67

basically paid $5.67 for popcorn chicken & 2 lunchables - cheaper than getting the popcorn chicken at sonic!


So, I ended up spending $11.21 and saved $12.12. Not too shabby in my opinion. They had some other deals where if you bought Oscar Mayer lunchmeat you could get free cheese - and you can get a $1 off coupon from the above kraft link.


Basically what I'm trying to say is that I do feel bad for people whose only choice for shopping is HEB. I have nothing against them really (other than the one by my house is ALWAYS crowded - I swear, even at 3am I'm sure that place is packed!), I just feel bad that people can't find the other outstanding deals that you can find at other grocery stores. BUT, if you look hard enough you can find some amazing deals to be had at HEB as well. I'm going to try to start posting HEB deals that I read about so hopefully some of your HEB-only folks can get some good finds too!



No comments:

Post a Comment